Re: TR: tasksel + gdm and accessibility issues for the d-i

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:27:40PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Aldo, le Sat 21 Feb 2009 16:43:13 +0100, a écrit :
> > > That is why I think ultimately, accessibility infrastructure needs to be
> > >part
> > > of the default desktop installation.
> >
> > Impossible: we have a need like you already have some at the beginning of
> > your Deb installation; explain me please what's the difference or what's the
> > problem between having brltty support right in the d-i but not further
> > accessibility/assistivity for Gnome ?
>
> Don't mix things: Mario was answering your initial concern, which was
> about _installing_ gnome-orca.  He answered by saying that we should
> probably rather convince the debian developers that gnome-orca should
> just _always_ be installed.  And thus no need for a tasksel item.
> That's all he meant to say, no need to go ranting.
>
> Now you are talking about _activation_. That is a quite different
> concern (and much more difficult to implement), but yes that would be
> good too. Now, about the difference: as I explained in French on another
> list it is merely that it has to be done, and nobody yet took the time
> to do it, that's all.

I personally agree about what Sam said but providing currently an entry for
marking Gnome-orca as candidate in tasksel will anyway be useful now, since
not only newbies were be helped but also sighted persons who try to help
blind newbies whle themselve haven't the knowledge about accessibility
issues.

On long terms it may be better if gnome-orca is installed by default, but
for now it isn't.

Labrad0r