Re: TR: tasksel + gdm and accessibility issues for the d-i

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 02:14:06PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Aldo <info@brlspeak.net> writes:
>
> > Hi Mario:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 04:06:22PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> * While it is a possible approach to have the installer explicitly
> >>   select packages for the users who are going to use the machine,
> >>   it is also obvious that an administrator might not know in advance
> >>   that a person with special needs is going to use this machine.
> >
> > Thats why the "if [*] set on for marking that chapter, then tasksel provides
> > an extra choice/question so that the right choice may be made by the user
> > who's installing Debian Lenny/later.
>
> I apparently wasn't clear enough.  What I am trying to get at is that
> the user installing the system might not know in advance that a person with
> special needs is going to login.  What if, for example, you walk up
> to a friend/coworker and talk about some issue.  You end up wanting
> to show them something, so you'd actually like to login on tehir Linux
> machine with accessibility enabled so that you can work together on the
> project.  However, since nobody thought their machine would ever be used by a
> disabled person, the necessary software would not be installed.
>
> That is why I think ultimately, accessibility infrastructure needs to be
>part
> of the default desktop installation.

Impossible: we have a need like you already have some at the beginning of
your Deb installation; explain me please what's the difference or what's the
problem between having brltty support right in the d-i but not further
accessibility/assistivity for Gnome ? on the other hand, OK, suppose it must
and will be part of the desktop; how far shall this irritate sighted persons
or have an effect to the hole system and its fluidity ?

What you are explaining is interesting, but you don't answer to the problem
of being able to have that assistive tech tool "on" at the first boot/login
into your 1st session: the only way to give an answer to this problem is by
adding that choice in tasksel, IMHO the right place, as it is the right
place for the (Gnome) Desktop.

The interesting thing on your approach is, that we could travel to another
place/person without having to brak our mind around assistive issues: if its
part of the Desktop then it can be activated, that's all; but at this moment
you can't do better than fitting it in tasksel so that we could be able to
"see" ourselves that we are installing it, independently from the fact of
making it integrated / offered together with the desktop.

>There are a few other scenarios as well,
> like public workstations (for instance in universities) running Linux.
> Currently, for them to be accessible, the admin staff needs to know all
>the ins
> and outs of accessibility, or they at least have to make a conscious
>decission
> about providing it to users.

This situation doesn't match with the individual blind person who wants to
install a Debian system and ask immediately from the beginning that Orca
should be there + active too, as its sighted friends or family can mark
Desktop for installation.

I think so the two approaches might be interesting but you have to begin
from the beginning, and that means for me: if you already did an effort to
prvide and fit brltty support from the boot: prompt, its coherent and
logical then to finish the job by providing the [*]Orca Asssistive Tech
button in / during the installer.

I see another advantage if fitted in tasksel: it could be similar to
brltty's current automated configuration: with the d-i it does uses the
entered brltty=... params to create the /Etc/brltty.conf file, and that's
great because you will be sure as blind user to have at least braille
support at your 1st login.
but at this moment you'll be also sure from another thing: you won't have
any accessibility/asssistivity tool activated for you when Gdm points for
logging in; and exactly thtt could be fixed on a proper way with some
debconf questiosn after you have marked Orca Asssistive Tech for
installation.

Aldo.