Re: TR: tasksel + gdm and accessibility issues for the d-i

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> It's not (yet), because of the daunting task of including sound drivers
> into the d-i kernel and various speech synthesis for the various
> languages in the installer image (and activate the correct one after the
> choice of language).

Maybe it would be best, at least for the moment, to install from a "live"
Debian-based distribution if software speech is required.

I know that GRML, for example, provides Speakup.

If the live distribution can be booted directly into a shell, with Speakup
running, then the user can invoke debootstrap to install Debian.

Of course, this requires more knowledge on the user's part than running the
installer does, but at least with a live distribution, one isn't constrained
by the requirements of an installer image.