Problem with BRLTTY and Debian installer (testing distribution)

This evening I tried to install Debian on a laptop using the latest netboot
image from the testing distribution, with a Baum braille display connected via
the USB port.

The braille display was detected, but BRLTTY displayed the following error:
"Screen not in text mode".

Suggestions are welcome. I'll gladly submit a bug report. Even if it's using
framebuffer console, BRLTTY should still work, right? The screen display was
fine at the installer menu.