Re: Orca, liblouis and contracted braille support

Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 01:17:33PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>
>> The configure option is not a problem at all.
>> gnome-orca is currently "arch: all" which is great since it does not
>> need to be autobuilt.  liblouis support will add architecture
>> dependent components, which should rpobably be split out into
>> gnome-orca-louis.  Patches (against gnome-orca in experimental) welcome.
>
> So, if gnome-orca-louis is not present, but the ./configure option is enabled
> in the provided build of gnome-orca, then it will be interesting to observe
> whether the contracted braille option is present, and what happens if the user
> tries to activate it without installing liblouis first.

The configure option in gnome-orca is only used to tell the build system
if the louis orca C module should be built or not.
The Python part of orca is written in a way that the louis module import
is wrapped in a try/except block to dynamically detect if the
module is present or not.  This is just like it was done
for brlapi support in orca.

It didn't think gnome-orca-louis should be a soft dependency, it could
rather be installed by default whenever a user installs gnome-orca,
it would just be nice to split it out into its own package
to avoid wasting quite a bit of archive space.

But this is all academic, since we dont have liblouis yet.
--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>