Re: [BRLTTY] Framebuffer terminal emulators

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Mario Lang, le Mon 01 Dec 2008 00:19:39 +0100, a écrit :
>> P.S.: Actually, it could be a little bit easier to extend the existing "Screen"
>> screen driver in BRLTTY or implement a new screen driver for communicating with
>> bogl-term and friends.
>
> Actually, I had already implemented something like this.

I also have some bits of code already :-)

> It was considered "ugly" by the debian-boot people to expose things
> via shared memory.

What did they propose as an alternative?  I think simply calling
something ugly without realizing how important it is isn't really
constructive.  After all, /dev/vcs is basically the same.

To me, a shm segment with an ID where the virtual terminal number is
encoded would be pretty easy to implement, and straightforward.

> I still think it would be a good thing to implement something like
> this, maybe a bit more standardized, so that *fbterm programs could
> provide it and brltty/sbl/brass/etc.

Yes, my plan would even be to implement it inside the Linux
screen driver (since these terminal emulators are linux-dependant anyway)
and fallback to checking if some program provides the shm segment whenever
we see a value unequal to KD_TEXT?

> could use it, and could even be used on other OSes.

Maybe.  I still think fallback should be automatic, we shouldn't
be forced to restart BRLTTY to switch screen drivers.

> Ideally there should be a way to insert unicode characters as well.
Right now, I'd be happy to see anything in such terminals :-)

> Now, AT-SPI people would say "just implement the AT-SPI interface!"  I'm
> not sure we really want that.

I definitely think thats the wrong way to go, because of
the overhead involved.  This forces AT-SPI into text-mode
world.  Besides, its surely much harder to implement
without any apparent gain.  Besides, then, someone might
call it ugly because of its CORBA dependency.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>