Speech recognition

Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum for this. I rely
on speech recognition a lot, but effective (or in fact, any) dictation
software is only available for Windows. Specifically, Dragon
NaturallySpeaking is the only working speech recognition program that
I have been able to find. I would like to go back to Debian, but at
the moment it is not a realistic option. What are the Debian Project's
thoughts on open source speech recognition for desktop computing? And
is there anything humble non-programmers with limited use of the
keyboard can do to help?

Thanks

John