Re: Openssl not found

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 02:35:27PM +1000, Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson wrote:
> I'm trying to install links2 to Debian Sarge. However, after running
> ./configure, I get a message saying "openssl not found". As far as I can tell,
> openssl is there.
This is probably because, under Debian, the OpenSSL headers are in a
non-standard location, viz., /usr/include/openssl

When you run ./configure you need to specify a command line option that gives
it the location of the OpenSSL header. Exactly what the configure option is
will depend on the software you are compiling, and should be documented in the
installation instructions. These can typically be found in the INSTALL file in
the top directory of the package.
./configure --help
should also list the options. It will be something like:
./configure --with-ssl=/usr/include/openssl
but you need to find the specific option for the header location. Some
packages will let you specify the header and library locations separately; the
library is typically in /usr/lib.