Re: Aural CSS

Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> writes:

> Hi Holger!
>
> Am 22.01.2006 um 15:56 schrieb Holger Levsen:
>
>> From your original post I had no idea what aural CSS is. I thought
>> others
>> might also wonder.
>
> Ah, okay. Then let me give some examples, how aural CSS tells the
> reader how to speak something:
>
> We have Acronyms and abbreviations in the page text. With aural CSS,
> it can be deined, if Those are spelled out or spoken like a word. A
> DAM (Debian Accounts Manager) would be spoken as a word normally
> while "HTML" is spelled out.

I believe this sort of functionality is at least implemented
in the JAWS screen reader for MS Windows.  At least I remember
them being proud about the ability of the user to choose behaviour
for abbrev (or was that acronym?) tags, if they are used.  I
somehow fail to see how aural CSS is used here, isnt abbrev (or
acronym, to lazy to look up) just a html 4.0 tag?

>From what I remember, you can already define abbrev speaking behaviour
in JAWS, I'll have an opportunity to check that out in a few days
and will do so and report back.  I wonder if they use aCSS.

> There also can be added pauses and different voices and loudness can
> be applied.

Yes, thats what emacspeak implements.  However, I never tested it really
(thats long ago, and back then I didnt find any examples).  The problem
is that emacspeak needs a speech backend which is capable of using
several different voices of the same language to really shine
at highlighting things.  eflite has only one voice, and AFAIR, we
still dont have a really good festival speech server (correct
me if I am wrong).

SO for this to get working immediately (without writing code), one probably
needs either a good hardware synth with good support in emacspeak for it,
or voodoo to reincarnate IBM ViaVoice on a today system.  ViaVoice was really
the killer app, perfect speech synth with very intelligable speech.
But AFAIR, IBM dropped it, and the existing files are
 1. illegal to use by now
 2. very hard to get running since libstdc++5 and some other linkage issues.

--
CYa,
  Mario