Re: Help needed: People willing to help co-maintain debian accessibility packages

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I can not help out personally but I have learned to know Jan Buchal
> at LSM (2000, 2001 and 2004) and perhaps he or some people he knows
> are willing to help in this common effort.

Yes, thanks, I know Jan personally as well (from LSM 2003 IIRC).  His team
is in fact already helping, namely, Milan Zamazal, who is a official Debian
Developer is maintaining speech-dispatcher and speechd-el upstream as well as
in Debian.  Since speechd-el is more or less a direct replacement for
Emacspeak which was called into existance because of frustration with how
certain things work in emacspeak, I kind of doubt he (milan) is interested
in maintaining emacspeak.  OTOH, it would of course be wonderful,
since much of the required knowhow to do the job properly is already there.
Milan?  <blink> :-)

> I would love to see Debian as the system of choice for disabled people.
> It is just because they could do themselves what other people are not doing
> for them.

Of course, it would be ideal if more people with disabilities
would work on this directly.  However, I think we are facing a kind
of bootstrap problem.  For now, we definitely need every helping hand
to make the overall system more attractive and to stay on
top of things.

--
CYa,
  Mario