Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

"Veli-Pekka Tatila" <vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:

> how do I show where a symbolic link is pointing? I read ls --help and
> ln --help with no luck so far.

ls -l shows it, but what you probably really want is readlink.

lexx:/tmp# readlink /vmlinuz
boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-speakup
lexx:/tmp# ls -l /vmlinuz
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root 27 Aug 19 21:27 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-speakup

>> dunno, I don't know Redhat tools too well.
> There was some nice one called soundconfig or something. I think I'll
> go ahead and try it.

What about "alsaconf"?

>> aumix works fine, but ALSA has it's on mixer-tools.
> apt-get install aumix
> went fine
> However, issuing aumix simply says:
> aumix:  error opening mixer

Yes, that would indicate that your soundcard was not detected/is not configured.

> Nice, it doesn't even tell me which mixer it tried.

Erm, if there is none, it can't possibly tell you its name :-).

--
CYa,
  Mario