Re: Getting 320x200 in X, Installing Gnome with apt-get

 > Umm the funny bit is, it won't. I've tried three different spellings:
 > gnome, Gnome and GNOME, none of which have worked so far. It just says that
 > this package cannot be found.
dunno, but my unstable install shows a gnome package available.
So does testing.

 > Do I have to somehow specify that I want stuff from the testing or unstable
 > branches shown also? Just out of curiosity, how unstable is unstable?
well yeah, but it's hard to run stbale/testing at the same time.
YOu have to choose for one of these and edit your /etc/apt/sources.list
accordingly.

For a starting user, pretty unstable :)
I once even tried to remove my ipchains firewall tools during an upgrade.
SO if you're not carefull unstable is a headache.

 > > However, you might be interested in xzoom too.
 > I just installed Xzoom hoping I can use that to explore KDE until I get the
 > lower resolutions to work. OK if i say xzoom in the KDE run box, it launches
 > the app quite happily. however, where's the manual? I don't seem to get much
 > out of the magnifier.
I played with itcouple of years back, so I can't help you here sorry.

 > I did a complete reboot. How do I restart the X server only? Oh yes, and if
 > i kill a process with kill, can I use some nicer way of referencing a
 > running process than some pretty un-mnemonic, 3-digit process identifier?
only 3 digets? they will be 5 when your box runs longer :)
and yes killall <programname> will kill all instances of that program.
Bit drastic and maybe not what you wnat sometimes.
and /etc/init.d/<startx or somehting simmular dunno) restart|start|stop
will do the trick.
also ctr+alt+backspace kills an xserer.

 > > you could reconfigure X with only the low resolution.
 > I've tried this too, and even if I have a single res like 320x200 listed, it
 > won't zoom properly. Besides the lowest reso I can choose in the textmode
 > XF86 configf wizard is 640x480. SOmeone hinted in an old newsgroup post that
 > X is also pretty picky about the videocard and settings as far as
 > resolutions go.
wouldn't surprise me.

 > Mine is Ati 3D Rage Pro. Which driver should I use: ati, atimisc or r128? I
 > suppose r128 is Rage 128 but it could be N-Vidia Riva, hich I really
 > wouldn't want to select.
yes that's the ATI rage128 driver.
ATI is good supported btw.

--