Re: BRLTTY and a flite module package?

Boris Daix <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

> Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Version 3.5 of BRLTTY will have a speech driver module for Festival Lite.
>> This module links dynamically against the quite large (6MB or so) festival
>> lite library.  Now, I am pondering how to go about this new module. I basically
>> see two approach:
>
> [...]
>
>> Any opinions?
>
> I also think BRLTTY shouldn't depend on synth' -- 3.5 may live in
> exp. until a good solution is found.

experimental is not really necessary, splitting the fl module out
of the brltty main binary package into brltty-flite seems quite
a good enough soltuion to me.

For those who are already glaring at me for not having packaged 3.5 for
unstable in the last 2 months, I am sorry, but I think I will
not make it for Sarge.  A decision I made in 3.4 regarding debconf support
is really hunting me.  Essentially, 3.4.1 debconf support is basically
broken, and I need to recode all of it from scratch, keeping backward
compatibility in mind, this is a hard job to really get right.  Now that
we decided to split out, I also need to find a way to know if the user
installed the brltty-flite package, so that I can offer the option.
Given that there were a lot of changes[1] since 3.5 in upstream svn repository
already, I think I'll actually skip 3.5 and aim for 3.6 or one of its
pre releases.

> But I wonder if the better wouldn't be to put flite stuff in, and
> simply make a "Recommends" relation w/ flite plus warn user via
> debconf/README.  Would it be even possible (I mean: is such a
> package installable, regarding shlibs and related)?
No.  All library relations have to be captured in package dependencies,
and that is automatically taken care of.  What we will need is a
Suggests from brltty to brltty-flite.

> On the other hand, you may also consider BRLTTY+Flite as another way of
> bringing a11y, by starting a new pkg (brltty-flite) w/ full 3.5,
> letting "BRLTTY only" alone behind.  I guess something in some way
> similar happened w/ exim / exim4, apache / apache2, and so on.

This is not really equivalent.  What you talk about are major upstream releases
with a lot of changes so that keeping the old version is desierable.  We
were only pondering splitting some part of the module system into
a separate binary package.

> You may also ask upstream to split things for you, to let packaging
> quite reasonable.

That is not necessary at all.  A single source package is fine,
we only need to split binary package, which upstream doesnt care
about at all usually.

> Anyway, BRLTTY may need a sacrifice: I think such overlaps should be
> particularly clear(er) for users, even if it implies splitting 7kb
> pieces.  To be honest, I currently don't really know what my BRLTTY
> can do after having provided me w/ Braille (it could make tea I won't
> even know it...).

Well, there is the documentation, you know :-).  Appart from the obvious,
reading upstream changelogs is very useful at times.

--
CYa,
  Mario