Re: W00t, It Speaks, One Final Question (was: Serial Install ...)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
 > How high can you go with modern serial ports? I've seen choices as high as
 > 115000 bits or something.
yes, modern serial device can go up to that speed.

I just looked into my inittab file and notice that the sample-line for
serial terminals indeed says 9600 baud.

 > By the way, I don't think I really need your brltty mini ISO provided that i
 > won't be having any major problems with serial install. I'd appreciate it if
 > you kept it a few days, though, as I don't know if everything goes OK until
 > actually having attempted the installation. Also, the Voyager is normally
 > plugged to this laptop rather than to the Linux machine, so I won't be using
 > braille big time in Linux yet. who knows if everything goes smoothly enough,
 > I'll some day install Linux on all three machines.
well, let me know.
I'm about 99.9% linux based.
I only use windows now for my ebanking-software, nothing more.

 > Machine summary:
 >
 > -music machine: 1.4 GHz Amd, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB ATA 100 HD, TerraTec EWS88
 > MT, Midiman USB MIDI-Sport 4x4, HardSID PCI, SB Live, GeForce 2
well, linux with mpg123 or mpg321, cdparanoia and i.e. lame as encoder
will do nicely.
I don't know about support for the midi-stuff, sb-live is best supported
bij ALSA-drivers.

 > -laptop: 2.0 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB disk,  built-in sound, Tieman Braille
 > Voyager, Canon Scanner, Ati Radeon 7000 something
have a look on the net, there are loads of install examples for laptops
available.
Have had it installed on at least 2 Toshiba's since I astred using debina
late '98

 > -upcoming Linux machine: 300 MHz Celeron, 128 MB RAM, 3 GB hard drive,
 > AWE32, Ati Rage Pro, Voodoo 2
you'd probably wnat alsa for sound on this oen too.

 > I'll be installing Linux to my slowest machine first as Windows is still
 > currently my primary OS and I just want to try out Linux as well. If I
 > decide to move to Linux big time, I'll likely install it on all the other
 > machines including my music machine. Though the last time I looked, MIDI
 > Sport 2x2 was supported but 4x4 was not. Oh well.
well, maybe the newest 2.6.x kernel will.

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/