Looking for experienced recommendations

Hi all,

I have been watching the list for a couple of months and I've looked through the archives, but I can't find what I need. If I've just missed it, please just point me in the right direction.

I'm a sighted person and I'm working on setting up a system for my 14 year old neice, Thalia, who is blind. She uses both qwerty key and braille keyboards and a braille display (BrailleLite).

I'm looking for comments from people with experience using accessible software and hardware. Thalia has received governement funding for a Braille Note BT18, JAWS, a Blazer Embosser, a bed scanner and Kurzweil OCR software.

Does anyone have experience using the hardware with Linux? If you do, can you please comment on ease of use? (I'm not so concerened about ease of admin or setup.) Has anyone used both JAWS and EMACS and do you have a preference? Same question for the OCR software.

Finally, can I get a recommendation on email packages and word processing software.

Thanks very much for the help,
Liz Barclay
Fergus, Ontario, Canada.