Re: gnome and debian + gnopernicus

Attila Konietzka <attilakonietzka@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:34:08PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
>> From your description it seems you did not set the $DISPLAY variable
>> correctly.  Normal consoles do not have the DISPLAY variable set, since
>> they are not opened from within X Windows.  You should probably
>> try and do something like:
>> # export DISPLAY=:0.0
>> # gnopernicus
>
> Well i did what you told but still the same errors including also:
> xlib: no protocol specified

Could you please post the complete output you get when launching Gnopernicus?
It is rather hard to figure out what is going on by just seeing a single
error message without any context.

> and other such messages. Is there anything i can do with the alt+f7 console?
> maybe logging in blind and then do something via alt+fa? or is the
> gnome-desktop not loaded at this moment?

You should check that the default window manager is set to metacity.
You can check this by executing
# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
If it does not say something like
"Current `best' version is /usr/bin/metacity."
you can do something like
# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
and select metacity.

I'd also suggest you try without xdm first, i.e., do not start
xdm at boot time, and start the X Window System by hand on some virtual
console.  You could for instance login as root, and invoke
# startx &
After some time if X starts OK, it should automatically switch to tty7
(you may hear a click from your monitor).  Now switch back to the
console where you invoked startx (Ctrl+Alt+Fn), and examine the output from
startx.
It may produce some warnings, some of them are probably not really fatal.
If it seems like the X server started OK, set the DISPLAY variable
as described in my previous mail, and invoke gnopernicus.

--
CYa,