Fwd: Greeting and the new Debian Academy machine

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: Greeting and the new Debian Academy machine
To: Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb-debian@mdcc.cx>
Cc: David Billsbrough <kc4zvw@earthlink.net>, <jathan@debian.org>

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 6:22 AM Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb-debian@mdcc.cx> wrote:
Hi David,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:18:34PM +0000, David Billsbrough wrote:

> The ssh public key that I added to request has been setup but I do not have an entry in the sudo config file.

Can you get a root shell on the machine?  In that case you don't need sudo.

I can get a shell on the account dashohoxha, then I can become a root with `sudo su`.
So, I can add David to the "sudo" group, if needed.

I can also create an account for you (Joost) and for any other people that are interested in maintaining the server.
But I think that we should first figure out what would be the best way for collaboration and working together, so that we don't make a mess and we don't step on each other's toes. Let's have a meeting and discuss this.
I am going to propose a meeting poll soon, but please let me know beforehand if you have any preferred times.

> Also what is the status of the DNS entries being setup as I cannot get academy.debian.net to resolve.

I would wait a few more days, and then ask again.

Stefano says: "I'll leave the setup of DNS to you, so that you own the debian.net DNS record"

Maybe he meant to say that we own the "academy.debian.net" subdomain.
This makes sense to me, and would actually be the best solution, since we may also need to set up an SMTP server for sending email notifications from Moodle. Being able to send notifications is a crucial part of Moodle's functionality. And for a mail server we need a couple of DNS records.

I do have experience with managing a domain/subdomain, so this is not difficult for me (see: http://dashohoxha.fs.al/docs/dns.html)

Basically, we need to provide Stefano with the NS records for the subdomain "academy.debian.net", which he can add to the zone of the domain "debian.net". We can do this together during the next meeting.

Regards,
Dashamir