Re: core dump analysis, was Re: stack smashing detected

On Apr 01 2023, Finn Thain wrote:

> So, in summary, the canary validation failed in this case not because the
> canary got clobbered but because %a3 got clobbered, somewhere between
> __wait3+24 and __wait3+70 (below).
>
> The call to __GI___wait4_time64 causes %a3 to be saved to and restored
> from the stack, so stack corruption seems to be a strong possibility to
> explain the change in %a3.
>
> But if that's what happened, I'd expect __GI___wait4_time64 to report
> stack smashing, not __wait3...

The stask smashing probably didn't fire in __wait4_time64, because it
hit the saved register area, not the canary (which reside on the
opposite ends of the stack frame).

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1