Re: Debian Chroot and emacs-nox

Brian Morris <cymraegish@gmail.com> comments on Mon, 28 Nov 2022
12:50:07 -0800 about a report from Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com>
about the failure to install emacs-nox on Debian on M68K.

I too have seen that, and just did a fresh try:

    # apt-get install mailutils emacs-common emacs-bin-common
     emacs-bin-common : Depends: emacs-common (= 1:28.2+1-3) but
     1:28.2+1-6 is to be installed

That looks to me like a messed-up dependency chain in the apt package
system on this platform, using requirements of exact version matches,
rather than greater-than-or-equal version checks.

Packaging systems really do need consistency checkers, so that broken
dependencies are caught before packages are made available to end
users.  I have seen this happen on numerous flavors of Unix-family
O/Ses: it is not unique to Debian on M68K.

- University of Utah                                                          -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -