Re: Booting Kernel on Amiga 3000

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 1:58 AM Stephen Walsh <vk3heg@vk3heg.net> wrote:
> >> amiboot -k vmlinux-5.15.0-2-m68k -r initrd.img-5.15.0-2-m68k
> >> root=/dev/sda2 fb=false debug=mem
> >
> > Are you sure that is what you really used?
>
> Yes, that is what I've been using and works with 5.15
>
> Screen shot of just before I started a new test. I boot the Amiga with
> no startup-sequence and then run the script. (Saves typing).
>
> https://amiga.vk3heg.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/PXL_20220907_121140311-scaled.jpg

That indeed looks good.
Does Amiboot print that it actually loads the ramdisk?

> > I missed this before, but all kernels that failed to mount their root
> > file systems, and printed no "initrd: <start> - <end>" lines, had the
> > "-r <initrd>" parameter in the kernel command line part:
> >
> >     Kernel command line: ignore_loglevel -r initrd.img-5.19.0-1-m68k
> > root=/dev/sda2 fb=false debug=mem BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinux-5.19.0-1-m68k
>
> I have seen it do that many times, but but boot correctly. I have also
> seen amiboot get the system going and then either not find the hd, or
> the nic or vis versa.

That's really strange.  Amiboot should only pass the last unrecognized
parts of the parameters as the kernel command line.
Any chance there is not a real space, but a non-breaking space
(SHIFT + SPACE, 0xa0) after the "-r", confusing the parser?

Can you try running Amiboot with "-d"? That will print more info about
the used addresses, and will give you more time to read its output,
by waiting for a keypress before launching Linux.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds