Re: Amiga PCMCIA ethernet on d-i

Hello Carlos!

On 9/26/21 14:01, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
> While a valid hd-media for current Unstable is being built by Adrian,
> I though I could play around with Debian Sarge that was the latest
> version with official m68k support. I got into my hands a D-Link
> DE-660+ PCMCIA card that according [1] should work on Linux; I
> already tested on AmigaOS and NetBSD/amiga and it's working like a
> charm. The issue is that Debian Sarge doesn't detect it and there is
> not even a kernel message referencing the pcmcia.

Did you check whether the necessary kernel modules are present on the
booted installer system? They should be in /lib/modules/$(VERSION)/*.

As you already know from the unstable hd-media image, not different
d-i images ship different module packages.

For a certain driver to be available in a debian-installer image, it first
must be enabled in the kernel configuration, so you have to check there
first.

Then it needs to be enabled as a debian-installer module in the directory
debian/installer/* in the kernel packaging source [1].

Then the module udeb packages generated in [1] need to be included in
the debian-installer image package list if it's a udeb that must be
included in the initrd (for example, networking drivers for the network
installer image).

The idea is that the initrd contains all the modules that are needed to
get the system up and running and access the installation medium. Thus,
the cdrom installer image needs storage drivers in its initrd while the
hd-media image needs modules for various filesystems and loopback mounting.

In the past years, I have only worked on the cdrom debian-installer images
and not touched network and hd-media installation as most people use the
standard installation CDs. That's why you ran into the problems with hd-media
when you tested it.

But we will hopefully fix the issues with the hd-media installation images the
next days. I just have to go through the module package lists and check which
of these we need for HD installation and which will actually work. Firewire
modules will certainly not work on m68k, for example.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz