Re: TO DO, was Re: localtalk, pcmcia etc.

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020, Brad Boyer wrote:

> Multiple display support shouldn't be too difficult, but I think we
> should do that by having real video drivers rather than just using
> macfb. It would be similar to the way offb works for PCI PowerMacs,
> where there is both a generic driver and individual drivers for each of
> the onboard chips as well as the various common PCI cards.

I think macfb could be replaced entirely by simplefb and some nubus
drivers, now that nubus has actual drivers under the Linux driver model
(as of Linux v4.16).

> I suppose we can just tell people to manage the serial switch setting in
> MacOS, but that seems clumsy.

No need for MacOS. As of Linux v5.1 you can configure SCC IOP bypass using
/dev/nvram on 68k Macs. (I wonder whether PRAM reset would enable or
disable bypass...)