Re: Xorg server on QEMU on Sid

On Mon, 18 May 2020, Laurent Vivier wrote:

> Le 18/05/2020 à 09:46, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
> > On 5/18/20 9:44 AM, Alexander Voropay wrote:
> >> I'm trying to run Xorg server on the git QEMU on the current Sid.
> >> It fails on fb device setting
> >>
> >> QEMU graphic related options:
> >> -g 1200x800x24 -display gtk
> >>
> >> fd console works. /dev/fb0/ device works
> >> (i.e.   "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0"  fills  "nubus-macfb"
> >> with random dots :) )
> >
> > I have never tried Xorg on qemu-m68k but Laurent might be able to give you
> > some more hints.
> >
> > Adrian
> >

> With debian/etch-m68k I used the attached xorg.conf file. Never tried
> with debian/sid.

That's my recollection also. The old Xorg from etch-m68k didn't require
mode switching.

I don't know if this behaviour is configurable in the current Xorg
(someone should consult the source code).

Arguably, macfb should support mode switching. No-one implemented it
because Apple never made public any DAFB chip docs.

Still, it's possible that someone has since figured out how the chip
works. NetBSD may have DAFB driver code.

BTW, if you do get Xorg to work in QEMU, you may run into ADB issues.
Those issues are being worked on.

Also BTW, if you have a Quadra/Performa/Centris/LC 630 or 580 or similar,
you'll find that the valkyriefb driver already supports mode switching.