Re: pcmcia ethernet card support for m68k?

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:04:04AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 8/10/20 11:52 PM, Stan Johnson wrote:
> > I have a PowerBook 190cs that is running Debian SID.  I would like to be
> > able to connect this PowerBook to an Ethernet network using an MPC-10
> > Ethernet PCMCIA card (I've confirmed that the card works in Mac OS 8.1).
> >  It looks like there used to be some PCMCIA tools for 2.4 and 2.6
> > kernels, but it's not clear what to use for 4.x and 5.x kernels, or
> > whether PCMCIA support exists for m68k.
>
> PCMCIA works on m68k, I already used it on my Amiga 1200. Not sure about
> 68k Macs though.
>
> One particular thing is that not all PCMCIA cards supported by the kernel
> will also work with the PCMCIA stack on Linux/Amiga [1]. So I had to be
> careful buying the right networking card.
>
> You might have better luck with your Mac.

There was a discussion of the driver for PCMCIA support on the PB190
back in November 2009, but I don't believe anything was ever completed.
There's old code that worked for some cards back then, but it would
need to be updated to a current kernel, and even then probably needs
some work to get accepted.

Here's part of the thread to give you somewhere to start if you're
curious about it:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2009/11/msg00018.html

The socket driver is named trex, and was ported from the nubus-pmac
tree since the same hardware is present on the PB5300 and PB1400.

Later PowerBooks have cardbus slots (since they are PCI based) and
don't need this specific driver.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com