Re: BigRAMPlus seems to be detected now

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 10:01 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> There is one user in the #debian-68k IRC channel who has tried installing Debian
> on his A4000 with a A3660 and a BigRAMPlus installed and while the user is currently
> running into problems with the kernel being stuck, to my surprise, the kernel seems
> to be able to use and detect the extra memory from the BigRAMPlus (see below).

Good!

> The kernel is reporting an address conflict though:
>
> [    6.140000] Zorro: Probing AutoConfig expansion devices: 3 devices
> [    6.150000]  zorro: Address space collision on device Zorro device 12128600 (Individual Computers) [??? 0x50000000-]

That is expected: the address space reported by the BRP Zorro device
is already in use, as it is part of system RAM. The message is harmless
in this case.

We could skip registering the resource if z->rom.er_Type & ERTF_MEMLIST,
which is a hint for AmigaOS to link the board's RAM into the free memory
list, but that may cause issues with Zorro II RAM excluded in a memfile.
So perhaps it's best to just skip printing that message if ERTF_MEMLIST
is set?

> The question whether the lock up is caused by the BRP. But since this Amiga has only
> 16 MB FAST RAM, the user hasn't tested to boot without the BRP yet.

Just booting the kernel with the BRP disabled (through a memfile, or
through mem=16M), would give very valuable information.
As well as trying to boot it with the BRP as primary memory (BRP first
in memfile) or sole memory (motherboard RAM disabled in memfile).

> I will dig out my BRP tomorrow and see if it's actually detected in my A4000
> as well with current kernel versions.

Looking forward to these results!
Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,