Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 03:25:41PM -0600, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 6/9/19 3:09 PM, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> >
> > I haven't booted an m68k machine in a while, so I am not too qualified to
> > comment on the current setup. I am impressed by the effort you put in, it
> > seems you are very close to a working system.
>
> Yes, thanks.  I believe I could get it working by manually downloading
> the packages that I need, move them over to the new installation using
> Debian 3.1 and then installing them in Debian 10/sid.

Yes. Or by using debootstrap, maybe even from another architecture.

> I tried leaving out the slash after debian-ports; apt-get still fails to
> find anything.  Perhaps something failed to get installed or configured
> after the installation hung.

I doubt that.

> Alternately, if there is a way to restart the installation, skipping the
> step where it asks whether any additional CDs or DVDs should be read,
> that might also work.  Otherwise, I can probably get it working well
> enough by manually installing what I need, though I'm not sure yet how
> to fix the keymap issue on the VGA console.

I don't think you can continue an installation, but maybe thats a new
feature. There are always news things to learn.

I am a bit confused by the layout of the ports mirror.
It seems the m68k debs are in this directory:

http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-m68k/main/

But there is also this directory, that I thought that would be used for
finding debs (this contains only all.debs?):

http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool/main/

On the official mirrors, I do not see the arch in the name of the pool
directory, ie this has debs for different arches:

http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/bash/

Maybe that is a new feature (that your apt does not support) or something is
broken with the ports server, which I doubt. Adrian will tell us?

Maybe you can try to add this to your sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main

(yes, with a trailing slash is what I use, works on my notebook).

You will not find m68k.debs there, but it should give you access to
all.debs, so you could try to apt install a doc package (bash-doc) or
debhelper (which will fail because it depends on more packages), but maybe
it can give you a clue where the problem lies.

In /var/lib/dpkg and /var/cache/apt you might find some info which packages
are available for installation.

Good luck!
Christian