Re: gzip (i386) uses TEXTRELs

Hello Andreas and everybody else,

Andreas Henriksson wrote:
[...]
> Andreas Pommer: It would be great if you could verify that
> gzip built with the patch you find at
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?att=1;bug=890279;filename=gzip-no-asm.debdiff;msg=21
> (ie. attached to #890279 ) makes it possible for you to reenable the
> protection in the logrotate service file that Christian had to drop
> for you. (Either by downgrading to previous logrotate version or
> just systemctl edit and put the service changes back in again.)

yes, good news, it works.

I built gzip with the patch, installed the package, reconfigured logrotate,
systemctl daemon-reload, created a test entry in logrotate.d and a fake logfile
for rotatation and compression, and then restarted the logrotate service.

It worked, and I did not observe any errors:

# dpkg -l gzip
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  gzip           1.9-2.1      i386         GNU compression utilities

# ls -l /var/log/test/
total 4420
-rw-r----- 1 root root 4523572 Sep 28 19:23 test.log

# systemctl restart logrotate

# ls -l /var/log/test/
total 200
-rw-r----- 1 root root      0 Sep 28 19:24 test.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root 202414 Sep 28 19:23 test.log.1.gz

Back when I encountered the issue logrotate would not have created the 1.gz
file, but leave the logfile uncompressed, and log some error messages.

And now 'systemctl status' does not show anything other than the usual
'starting' messages.

thanks a lot to everyone, and especially to Andreas Henriksson for your help,

Andreas