Re: New Amiga drivers coming for Linux 4.18

Hi Geert!

On 04/20/2018 09:43 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
As of today, two new m68k drivers have been merged into the staging trees
of the Linux kernel.

Not staging, but linux-next. Staging is something different ;-)

You're right. I wasn't talking about "the" staging drivers though, but just
git trees that are used to stage the changes before they get into Linus'
main tree. But I agree, using "staging" in this context is a bit misleading.

* zorro_esp [1]:
* xsurf100 [2]:

I am happy to see hardware support for m68k being increased in the upstream
kernel. It seems m68k support is far from being dropped from the kernel, and
we survived many evictions of other "obsolete" architectures.

We already have the next project to work on. I attached the USB module "RapidRoad"
to the X-Surf100 networking card [1]. The board is based on the isp1763 chip
for which there is a driver in the Linux kernel already.

Both drivers will be available in Linux 4.18 and I will enable those drivers
in upcoming versions of the debian-installer and the Debian m68k installation
images.

Live long and prosper!

Btw, there is something to worry about regarding m68k support in gcc. The gcc
folk is threatening to remove the backend if it doesn't get ported over to
the new backend code base. I don't have enough knowledge about gcc yet in order
to assess how difficult it would be to make that port. But I will do my best
to prevent the backend from being dropped.

Adrian

[1] http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/RapidRoad

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz