Re: [Stretch] Status for architecture qualification

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> I have invested lots of time and effort to get sparc64 into a usable state in Debian.
> We are close to 11.000 installed packages. Missing packages include Firefox,
> Thunderbird/Icedove, golang and LibreOffice to name the most important ones.

Is there some way to define 'core'[0] packages as blockers for testing
migration, and arch release qualification;  but other packages not?

Many of these ports would be useful if just a base system was released,
and preferably having stable/security updates for that part (otherwise
it is difficult for users to try it, developers to work on it, or DSA to
support buildds for it;  all of which are limitations on ports' further
growth).

Trying to have *every* package build and stay built on every port, and
supported for the lifetime of stable, is a lot of work without much
purpose sometimes.  And it's unreasonable for any one port to block
testing migration of a package on all arches, unless it is something
really essential.

This might be done either:
  * in the official archive, with relaxed rules for testing migration
    and more frequently de-crufting of out-of-date packages;
  * creating a mini testing/stable suite based on debian-ports.org?
    where maybe only the core packages are candidates to migrate.

[0]: I'd define core packages as everything needed to install, boot, and
then build packages on that arch.  The rebootstrap project gives us some
idea of what those are;  but add to that the kernel and any bootloaders.
Being able to rebootstrap, should be part of the arch release
qualification anyway IMHO.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain