Re: Log for attempted build of encfs_1.8.1-2 on m68k (dist=unstable)

On 07/22/2015 09:20 AM, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>> m68k isn't experimental, it was Debian's *first* official port and it's
>> still important since it helps catch regressions in the code regarding
>> portability.
>
> Yes, yes, and 386 was the first Intel CPU and we don't support it
> either, and people stopped complaining quite quickly after it was
> dropped.

We don't support it anymore because:

  a) Linus dropped i386 in the kernel
  b) There is no demand for running Linux on a real i386

Both these cases do not apply to m68k. And, furthermore, Linus
explicitly said that if someone really comes forward and tells him
they need i386 support in the kernel, the kernel developers
would add it back.

There are actually quite a lot of users who are still running Debian
on old m68k hardware. We get many requests for help on our mailing
list as well as on forums like amiga.org. We also got a grant to
buy some *new* hardware for our Amigas and had a 68k developer
meetup back in January. So m68k is far from dead.

>>> http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=encfs&suite=sid
>>
>> And I have a high level of trust in Torsten. If he reports something to
>> be broken, it *is* usually broken :).
>
> Could you guys provide people with a PC-VM of some kind? I see those
> references, https://wiki.debian.org/BasiliskII but no prebuilt image
> from Jessie or "m68k-unstable" anywhere.

I could just create an account on one of the m68k buildds. I have done
that in the past already for maintainers who wanted debug their
packages.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz