Re[3]: Some tests with my Macintosh Centris 650

------ Original Message ------
From: "Finn Thain" <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
To: "Scott Holder" <scott@iamscott.net>
Cc: "John Paul Adrian Glaubitz" <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>; debian-68k@lists.debian.org
Sent: 1/26/2015 12:56:18 AM
Subject: Re[2]: Some tests with my Macintosh Centris 650

<snip>
> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux/3.16.7-2/#linux-image-3.16.0-4-m68k_3.16.7-2

It's up-to-date to within a few days or a week. Unpacked it completely
 (gzip'd it ran into the Penguin size lockup bug) and I get as far as
 failing to mount root. I'm assuming this is the lack of filesystem
 drivers. Seems like it'd work with an initrd.

Yes, that does sound promising. Thanks!

Figured I'd mention while I was at it that since I was reinstalling on the new HD anyway, I used the base filesystem tarball from https://wiki.debian.org/M68k/Installing (http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/2015-Jan/Ara2015A.tar.gz) and started off with my original 3.12 kernel, which booted it no problem. I ran some updates and it generated a 3.16.0-4 kernel and initrd through some process. Copied those to the Mac side and it's now working just fine with a newer kernel. It's taken a bit of tweaking to remove some of the ARAnyM-specific stuff but so far so good. It'll be nice having a spacious 18GB to work with instead of the 2GB I'd had it all crammed in before. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising since that's what it's there for, but I'm always glad when neat old things work out of the box :)

Now to try to fix X...

Scott