Re: config-3.16.0-4-m68k

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>Missing options in config-3.16.0-4-m68k.txt:
>
>Generic:
>  CONFIG_KEXEC=y
>  CONFIG_BOOTINFO_PROC=y

Looks legit.

>  CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

See below.

>Platform-specific:

Looks legit.

>Unneeded options (hardware setup not in the defconfigs):

Some of these may come from the Debian defaults. But do they hurt,
especially the “m” ones?

>Shall I put this in a Debian ticket, or do we want to discuss this

Yes, please. Send an eMail to submit@bugs.debian.org with the first
lines “Source: linux”, “Version: 3.16.7-ckt2-1”, and an empty line.

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:

>On 01/25/2015 12:14 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>   CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
>
>This isn't set on my amd64 machine either and it works. Isn't the init
>system supposed to mount devtmpfs anyway?

No, the initrd. (Or nothing, since you don’t need it when you have
a static /dev which also still works.) I still believe it to have
benefit, but when I proposed this for Debian it got shot down. So,
this is part of those distro defaults. (I’d still suggest it for
monolithic initrd-less kernels.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick, or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh but
what about xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in the be-