Re: Some tests with my Macintosh Centris 650

On 01/23/2015 03:47 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
> There is a known bug in Penguin that might affect your 3.16.0-4 kernel, if
> it is large and gzipped. The work-around for this bug is to unzip the
> kernel binary before using it with Penguin. (If that works, you probably
> want to switch to the EMILE bootloader. It used to work on my Q650 when I
> tried it years ago.)

Ah, reminds me of the issues I had with amiboot and larger kernels [1].

> Failing that, can you send me a photo of the crash? The serial console log
> would be a lot better than a photo but you'd need a suitable cable. (I use
> an Apple StyleWriter cable with a Keyspan USB-to-mini-DIN8 adapter.)

Here you go: http://imgur.com/a/luLEV The last screen is actually where
it stops. It looks the same when booting 3.14 but this kernel continues
to boot fine after the pink screen.

> You might want to order a 16.666 MHz crystal as well, in case of
> instability at 40Mhz.

Good idea!

> The Quadra 650 (33 MHz) has a big heat sink on the CPU; I don't recall
> seeing one on the slower machines.

The Centris 650 has a big heat sink as well which is why the guys from
the clockchipping website claimed overclocking them wouldn't be an issue
at all.

>> Personally, I think the serial and parallel ports aren't that essential
>
> Maybe. But you may find that AppleTalk is enabled when the PRAM is reset,
> which would bring the serial chip into play...
>
> (There is no parallel port BTW.)

You're right. I was just generalizing and not looking at the Mac the
moment I wrote that.

> For reliability, I think it would be prudent to do the whole conversion
> (resistors and crystal, soldered) just so that MacOS knows what clock is
> fitted, because it probably needs to know which timing loops to use. It
> seems likely that drivers besides serial will benefit. Did you find any
> reports of working Ethernet with a partial conversion?

I could do that later on. First I want to see what results I get.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz