Re: Partitioning Mac drives

On Fri, 2 May 2014, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have started installing Debian/m68k on a Centris 650 which I wanted to
> set up as another buildd. This is my first attempt to install Debian on
> an 68k Mac, all my previous installation efforts were on Amigas.
>
> I installed a new, larger hard drive into the Mac (160 GB Seagate with
> the help of a SCSI-to-IDE bridge) and installed MacOS 8 plus the update
> to 8.1 without any trouble. Only problem was to get disk partitioned
> which required the use of a third-party tool (I used FWB Hard Disk
> Toolkit 1.6) to create a 4 GB partition for MacOS.

I use MacOS 7.5.3 because it is lighter and runs well on every Mac that
Linux/m68k runs on. Also, the Penguin docs recommend MacOS 7.5.

MacOS 8 was intended for PowerMacs. MacOS 8.1 brings one advantage: you
can read/write HFS Plus filesystems. This would be an advantage if you
installed Linux with an HFS Plus /boot filesystem because Penguin (which
of course runs under MacOS) can then read the Linux kernel image directly
from the Linux /boot partition. (ISTR Linux cannot write to an HFS
filesystem, but it will read/write to HFS Plus.)

But if you end up using Emile instead of Penguin, hopefully you won't need
your kernels on an HFS partition, because you can then avoid Penguin and
therefore avoid MacOS.

> After installing MacOS and verifying the Mac was booting fine, I hooked
> up the disk to my Debian desktop and used gparted to create additional
> partitions for the root system, swap and the buildd. Then I copied the
> 3.2 Mac kernel and Penguin onto the Mac partition. All these steps went
> without errors.
>
> Putting the disk back into the Mac, however, bore a bad surprise, the
> Mac no longer recognized any partitions on the drive and refused to
> boot.

Failure to boot may mean you need to bless the boot partition again (e.g.
drag Finder out of the System Folder and then back into it).

If, having booted into MacOS (e.g. from CDROM), you find that the HFS
partitions are no longer visible in Finder then you have a different
problem.

> Anyone has any idea what could have happened? Did the additional
> partitioning mess up the partition table or

Are the partitions visible in the MacOS partition tools? If no partitions
show up in Disk Utility, then I'd say gparted may have changed the
partition map format from Apple Partition Map to DOS.

Linux will have logged the partition map format when gparted told the
Linux kernel to rescan it; I'd look there first.

> is HFS support in the Linux kernel broken?

Not AFAIK. But if you create the MacOS filesystem under Linux, you will
need an HFS filesystem (not HFS Plus) for a m68k Mac to boot from it:

# mkfs.hfs
usage: mkfs.hfs [-h | -w] [-N] [hfsplus-options] special-device
        -h create an HFS format filesystem (HFS Plus is the default)
        -N do not create file system, just print out parameters
        -s use case-sensitive filenames (default is case-insensitive)
        -w add a HFS wrapper (i.e. Native Mac OS 9 bootable)
  where hfsplus-options are:
        -J [journal-size] make this HFS+ volume journaled
        -G group-id (for root directory)
        -U user-id (for root directory)
        -M access-mask (for root directory)
        -b allocation block size (4096 optimal)
        -c clump size list (comma separated)
                e=blocks (extents file)
                c=blocks (catalog file)
                a=blocks (attributes file)
                b=blocks (bitmap file)
                d=blocks (user data fork)
                r=blocks (user resource fork)
        -i starting catalog node id
        -n b-tree node size list (comma separated)
                e=size (extents b-tree)
                c=size (catalog b-tree)
                a=size (attributes b-tree)
        -v volume name (in ascii or UTF-8)
  examples:
        mkfs.hfs -v Untitled /dev/rdisk0s7
        mkfs.hfs -v Untitled -n c=4096,e=1024 /dev/rdisk0s7
        mkfs.hfs -w -v Untitled -c b=64,c=1024 /dev/rdisk0s7