Re: Linux/m68k config again

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > The oldest multi-platform kernel deb available there is 3.10-1.
> >
> > $ egrep 'PMACZILOG|EARLY_PRINTK' boot/config-3.10-1-m68k
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_TTYS=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y
> > CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
> >
> > The Debian config tracked the change to the upstream default in 3.11,
> > much as [Thorsten] described:
> >
> > $ egrep 'PMACZILOG|EARLY_PRINTK' boot/config-3.11-2-m68k
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_TTYS=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y
> > # CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK is not set
> >
> > Geert says "default y" is frowned upon so I've no idea how to fix this
> > upstream.
>
> Isn't setting CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y here doing just that? (default y is
> a Kconfig option, the above is directly set in defconfig)

The file boot/config-3.11-2-m68k comes not from defconfig but from the
deb, generated by scripts discussed earlier in this thread, see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2013/12/msg00159.html

You are right that the mac defconfig upstream might benefit from
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y, but I'm not particularly fussed about it because
upstream users can configure their own kernels.

$ egrep 'PMACZILOG|EARLY_PRINTK' arch/m68k/configs/*
arch/m68k/configs/mac_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
arch/m68k/configs/mac_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_TTYS=y
arch/m68k/configs/mac_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y
arch/m68k/configs/multi_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
arch/m68k/configs/multi_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_TTYS=y
arch/m68k/configs/multi_defconfig:CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y

Like I said earlier, the lack of EARLY_PRINTK has been a problem for
Debian users so far and not upstream users.

Finn