Re: sonic_init: failed, status=0

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014, Jesse Osiecki wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:41 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > But if I were you, I would try to get an actual Nat. Semi. SONIC card.
> > The old smc9194 driver does not do DMA, it copies packets to and from
> > the card one word at a time. The macsonic driver has DMA and does
> > zero-copy I/O. It will be much faster and much less taxing on scarce
> > CPU cycles.
> Those are hard to get, but it would solve everything. I'm tempted to
> find the smc9194 driver and rewrite it

The code is here (linux-2_2 branch):
http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/net/smc9194.c?view=log&pathrev=linux-2_2

If you switch to the 2.4 (MAIN) branch, you'll see there's no
nubus/comm-slot support in smc9194.c (same on kernel.org), so this work
probably never got pushed anywhere (though there once was another CVS, now
lost).

> as half of the reason I got into m68k was that it would force me to work
> outside my comfort zone (building an Ethernet driver would certainly
> qualify).

Well, there are more important issues that might also take you out of your
comfort zone:

- Xorg crashes with ADB mice (regression)
- kswapd bug (regression)
- coldfire VDSO support needs porting to m68k

These are just the tip of the iceberg. My own long to-do list does not
include the above issues, though others may be working on them (?)

My to-do list has no bugs to fix relating to your particular hardware, but
I have a suspicion that your Mac has a SWIM III floppy disk controller
(and if so it should probably be using the powermac floppy driver).

Working on this stuff is easier with faster hardware (e.g. SONIC and DMA).
Some jobs can be tackled in aranym.

> Before I make moves on the driver, do you know off the top of your head
> the reason that there is no DMA in the smc9194 driver?

No, not off the top of my head. Perhaps the chip can't do DMA operations?
I'd need to dig up a datasheet.