Re: Log for attempted build of mesa_10.2.1-2 on m68k (dist=unstable)

On 06/25/2014 04:26 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Both Debian maintainers and upstream do not care about Linux/m68k at all.

I'll talk to them. I read the bug report and I really don't like that
kind of attitude. Sure, some of the things we compile for m68k will
never run on (real) m68k hardware.

However, making sure that all packages build cleanly on all
architectures helps to keep the code tidy and portable. I happened to
talk to Greg-Kroah Hartman at Linuxtag regarding the m68k port and
he said, he's actually glad for what we're doing since m68k helps
spotting portability problems and regressions and keeping the code
compile on m68k means it will compile nearly everywhere else. And, he
said there is no reason to drop m68k support in the kernel in the
future, it will stay in :).

Furthermore, if their argument was actually valid, we could apply the
very same logic to the Debian BSD and Hurd ports. These do also have
a very small user base, yet the rest of Debian honors their work and
invests extra efforts to keep these architectures supported.

PS: Thorsten, thanks for filing these bug reports and keeping an eye
    over the results of the buildds. I really appreciate your work!

Cheers,

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz