Re: Installing to an Amiga HDF

Intuition Amiga dixit:

>This is where I get stuck....  I want to do the equivalent of
>'mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1' but 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/loop71 doesn't work because
>no such partition exists.

If your kernel has support for the Amiga partitions, this works,
not just with /dev/loop7 but also with regular files:

sudo kpartx -v -a /dev/loop7

This will show which (-v) and add (-a) partitions, which will
then be named /dev/mapper/loop7p1 etc. (yes, /dev/mapper), but
this is a generic solution, you can do this with LVM LVs or
even files too ;-)

But mind #680672 (although this bug is probably due to missing
partition map in the kernel…?).

>Can anyone offer me advice on how to create an ext4 filesystem on this
>loopback device so I can then mount it and extract the Debian 68k base
>image to it?

You could also just dd the Debian/m68k ext2fs image onto the
partition (using dd’s “seek” parameter), then resize2fs it
to your needs. (Although ext4 is probably better. Do *not*
forget the “p” parameter to tar when extracting it!)

//mirabilos
--
<igli> exceptions: a truly awful implementation of quite a nice idea.
<igli> just about the worst way you could do something like that, afaic.