Getting started on a LC630

Hi first time list user here,

Recently I've been wanting to play around with my old 68k mac's again
and decided I wanted to try and put Debian on my old LC630.
Unfortunately on opening up my 630 I seem to possibly have one of the
defective 68LC040's (XC68LC040RC33B 02E23G QEUE9439A Malaysia) so I
was wanting to at least do a test boot to see if mine might not be
defective. The only information I'm finding on doing this is quite
ancient (http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/gettingstarted.php) and I
was wondering if someone had information on testing this with one of
the more modern kernels, rather than the really old etch kernel.

If I do happen to have one of the defective batch what would my
options be, short of buying a full 68040? Some of the pages I was
reading sound like it's potentially do able but no one has done it,
and other's say there is no way. That said a lot of the information
I'm seeing is quite a few years or even a decade out of date.

Thanks very much,

Hayden K.