Improving Performance

Hi debian/68k people,

i know, while using Aranym for running debian-68k on Atari-compatible machine, it doesn't make a noticeable (if any) performance difference to boot the kernel with -s option (put Kernel in ST-RAM).

But if you run it on a real 680x0 machine, which in my case is a
Falcon with 100 MHz 68060 CPU, 512MB TT-RAM (read: FAST RAM, clocked at full CPU clock on a 32 bit bus) and 14MB ST-RAM (read: SLOW RAM, 16MHz on a 16bit bus), there is a huge performance loss.

Last weekend i attended to a computer meeting, where someone ran debian-68k on his Amiga 1200 (Blizzard 1230 CPU upgrade, 50 MHz CPU clock, 64MB FAST RAM (but iirc on Blizzard 1230 RAM clock is half CPU clock). This machine _easily_ outperformed mine, though having much lower raw power.

Wouldn't it be the right way to fix the Atari-branch kernel to get
it running from TT RAM as on the Amiga? The Amigas 2 MB Chip RAM is not used by the linux kernel, only for video-RAM.

If some developer lives halfway near me, i'd even lend him my (precious) Falcon to have hardware to test.

I am on my way to write a good debian-68k install walkthrough for Atari Falcon, because its quite tricky to get it running.

But with this poor performance, i don't know if its worth the effort.

Any suggestions are very welcome, i have my Falcon set up on my main desk and latest debian-68k is installed. Network support works nicely.
I even compiled my favorite console IRC client on it.

greetings,
Stefan