Re: How to get a new palo source package into unstable?

Hi Adrian,

On 01/12/2014 05:32 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:37:52PM +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
>> as you might have noticed, we did huge progress on the HPPA (PA-RISC) port:
>> http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/
> Indeed. Congratulations on that! I'm glad to see the HPPA port coming
> back to life. I'd love to test it myself, but the only PA-RISC machine
> that I currently know of which is in my vicinity is located inside a
> laboratory at my physics department and it's still running HP-UX.
> Might be that it gets scrapped soon and replaced with something more
> fancy so that I can get hold of it, who knows ;).

Good thing is, that those machines got pretty cheap now.
A Dualcore-C8000 workstation is available on ebay for < 100 EUR.

>> In order to be able to boot parisc machines, the hppa port needs the "palo" debian package.
>> "PALO" is the "PA-RISC boot loader" and a boot-loader-image generator, similar to
>> "lilo" on i386 or "silo" on sparc.
> Or "aboot" on the Alpha machines.
>> I've continued to maintain and further develop palo.
>> The new palo git repository is now at:
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/deller/palo.git
>> and the source should compile and run on all plattforms.
>> A simple checkout and dpkg-buildpackage should work.
> Thank you very much for doing this (and the hard work of bringing the
> buildds back to life). Even though I currently don't own a PA-RISC
> machine, I'm very glad that someone took care of it, such that owners
> of these machines can still use it with a current Debian release.
>> Since I'm not a debian-developer, I don't know how to get this package into debian unstable again.
>> What is the usual process to get a new/old package back into debian unstable?
>> Maybe someone of you who has a debian developer rights is willing to upload the
>> source package?
> I'm a Debian Developer with full upload permissions to the archive and
> would absolutely love to help you get the boot loader (and any other
> possibly necessary packages) back into Debian.

AFAIK the bootloader is the only package which is parisc specific.

> The best is to have the package(s) uploaded to Debian Mentors [1] so I
> can grab them from there and review them, send you suggestions on
> improving them and finally upload them.

I uploaded it, and CC'ed you on the request.
The info at top of the website is the latest package with most warnings fixed.
It would be nice if you could help me (off-list) further on that.

> Plus, it would be nice to have access to a PA-RISC machine myself so I
> can perform a test build and inspect the finished package. Would that
> be possible?

Sure, I'll send you login details off-list.
If other people here on the list want access, please let me know.
> PS: I have noticed that the HPPA builds never include the build log,
>     for example radeontop [2]. Would it be possible to have these
>     enabled as well, so we can easily find out what went wrong when a
>     build failed?

We had problems with sending mails from the buildds when I started the buildds mid december.
Currently we have 5 buildds running:
Since around 2-3 weeks, all buildds except mx3210 do send build logs.

I can reschedule a rebuild of radeontop for you, or you can just build it
yourself on the machine for which I send you a login. Just let me know.