Re: Testing Debian Sarge M68K DVD with WinUAE

Hi,

I'm replying to three messages here.

On Sun, February 10, 2013 19:02, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> - Has anyone ever tested installing from the Debian 3.1r8 DVD on a real
>
>Debian 3.1 was released in 2005, and no upgrade path to current Debian
>exists, for m68k, so this is, IMHO, not really of interest at all.

I'm doing it in order to help with improving WinUAE's emulation accuracy.
Its SCSI controller and MMU emulation has improved significantly since the
last release, so now Amiga UNIX, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Debian seem to run
mostly okay. Testing old versions of those has helped find several bugs,
though there are probably still some left. Debian 3.1 just happens to be
the last version for which install CD/DVD images were produced.

On Sun, February 10, 2013 19:42, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
>Am 10.02.2013 um 19:12 schrieb "Mark" <markk@clara.co.uk
>>:
>
>> However with an emulated SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to Amiga 3000 SCSI or
>> A2091 SCSI controllers, the installer aborts with an error when loading
>> components from CD. Also the check integrity option reports an error.
>> There is only a problem when using the DVD ISO, not the CD #1,
>> businesscard or netinst CD images.
>
>Hmmm, when does this error occur? May it be a 4 GB/32 bit problem?  How
large is
>that DVD?

The DVD #1 ISO image is 4933021696 bytes long. I too thought the problem
might have been related to accesses past 4GB, but the integrity check
(with emulated SCSI CD/DVD drive) fails at
./pool/main/g/glib2.0/libglib2.0-0_2.6.4-1_m68k.deb.

Looking at the WinUAE log output, the last couple of accesses to the disc
were:
SCSIEMU 0: 28.00.00.04.BF.4F.00.00.36.00.00.00 CMDLEN=10 DATA=42B60268 LEN=10
-> DATAOUT=110592 ST=0 SENSELEN=0
SCSIEMU 0: 28.00.00.04.BF.85.00.00.02.00.00.00 CMDLEN=10 DATA=42B60268 LEN=10
-> DATAOUT=4096 ST=0 SENSELEN=0

LBA 0x4BF86 is 69:10:74 in M:S:F notation; only about 608MB into the
image. So it doesn't look like a 4GB problem, or related to any possible
hard-coded limit for CD-ROM capacity. Or perhaps the installer was about
to issue a past-4GB read command, but that didn't get through to the
emulated DVD drive?

That's why I wondered whether anyone with a real Amiga (or other M68K
machine) and a SCSI DVD drive remembers successfully using the DVD ISO in
the past.

On Mon, February 11, 2013 13:48, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>> When WinUAE is set to emulate an Amiga 4000 with ATAPI CD-ROM drive, it
>> works fine. The check integrity option of the installer doesn't report
>> any errors with the DVD #1 ISO.
>>
>> However with an emulated SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to Amiga 3000 SCSI
>> or
>> A2091 SCSI controllers, the installer aborts with an error when loading
>> components from CD. Also the check integrity option reports an error.
>
> Can you tell us a bit more about the actual error? On woody we had missing
> /dev/sr[01] (and scd[01]) devices, which should be fixed in sarge
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody/

The disc integrity check fails, saying
  The ./pool/main/g/glib2.0/libglib2.0-0_2.6.4-1_m68k.deb file failed
  the MD5 checksum verification. Your CD-ROM or this file may have been
  corrupted.

Also, trying to install gives an error at the "Retrieving
dhcp-client-udeb" stage.

>>  - Has anyone ever tested installing from the Debian 3.1r8 DVD on a real
>> Amiga with a SCSI DVD-ROM drive? Or on any other M68K platform with a
>> SCSI DVD drive?
>
> I don't think that I own a SCSI DVD drive, do these actually exist? Are
> they affordable?

There were a few SCSI DVD drives. A quick Google or eBay search should
turn up some model numbers. There are some Toshiba SD-M1401 drives on eBay
for about GBP 20 at the moment (Sun OEM version).

>> - Which component of the Debian system contains the SCSI CD/DVD driver?
>> I'd like to check the source, maybe that could provide some clues as to
>> the cause of the problem, whether a bug in WinUAE or a deficiency in the
>> Debian SCSI CD/DVD driver.
>
> Maybe you can check some other discs to rule out problems with the m6k
> iso?

The M68K DVD #1 ISO I have has the correct checksum and works fine with an
emulated ATAPI CD/DVD drive. So either there is a problem with WinUAE's
SCSI CD/DVD emulation, or the Debian installer accesses SCSI CD/DVD drives
differently from ATAPI drives, and no-one tested the DVD images with a
real SCSI DVD drive.

I checked the integrity of the second 3.1r8 DVD ISO. That worked fine with
an emulated SCSI drive. That ISO image is 3818440704 bytes long, so less
than 4GB.

-- Mark