Re: Partitioning Atari Falcon in order to run linux/m68k

Am 14.12.2013 01:11, schrieb Michael Schmitz:
> Stefan,
>
>> i am trying to install linux on my Atari Falcon.
>>
>> My first partition should be BGM/FAT, so TOS can run.
>> The second one is ext2 filesystem, for the unix stuff of MiNT.
>> I have a third partition, also ext2 for programs and data i use from
>> MiNT.
>> The fourth i want to use for linux root (which the linux kernel mounts
>> as /dev/hda4)
>
> Make sure the BGM/FAT partition is less or equal 128 MB in size - the
> logical sector size may not exceed the kernel page size of 4k.

Why this? Falcon has Tos 4.04 and allows than 128MB  partitions iirc.
I always use 500 MB for my first TOS partition.

>> Is it possible to make this partition scheme with HD Driver under TOS?
>
> That's about the only way I know of.

Okay, i did this. Then i used FreeMiNT to make an ext2 FS on the LNX
partition.
The kernel boot messages tell me it mounted /dev/hda4 successfully as ext2 .

> Without byte swappping by device mapper, using ARAnyM might be the
> easiest option:
>
> Get the disk partitioned under TOS, then use ARAnyM on a PC to mount
> your partition and bootstrap a Debian system on to the mounted partition
> (use ByteSwap=no, Path=/dev/sdb or Path=/dev/hdb to get ARAnyM to mount
> your Falcon disk attached as disk sdb or hdb - make sure you calculate
> the correct number of logical cylinders from the disk size). It may be
> necessary to use the nfhdXXX  devices instead of the hdXXX ones
> depending on your version of ARAnyM.

I will need some time to learn about how to use aranym. I have it
installed, but just added pre made disk images.
I currently have no idea how to make sure i calculate the cylinder
numbers correctly. Isn't this something i can write down somewhere from
the Atari?

Greets,
Stefan