Re: Mac-only binary, was Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On 11/20/2013 8:05 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Looks like the same one as
http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2013/10/msg00083.html
The two backtraces have an awful lot in common. So it is safe to say that
this is not hardware flakiness.

And it would appear that this crash has only showed up on custom kernels
(one used Debian's compiler; neither used Debian's kernel config).

That thread you linked to was about a crash on an "amiga 1200 + aca1232"
-- is that a 68030 too?

Has anyone else tried running 3.12 on '030?

Finn

Not sure if it counts... but I had a kind of duh moment and remembered I have a Macintosh LC III in the closet. 68030, 68mb of RAM, and, unexpectedly, a 68882 FPU in the socket! So I hooked up the HD that's working nicely in the LC475 and decided to give it a go.

So far, I can't get past the initial boot console. With the vmlinux-3.12.0-mac compiled specifically, I get this: http://iamscott.net/IMAG0205.jpg .

With the vmlinux-3.10-2-m68k generic with initrd match, I get basically the same thing. It doesn't seem to be continuing to boot in the background as if it were a display thing, and I can't find my serial adapters to let me hook up a serial console to it to see if it's doing anything interesting.

Then I decided to try it on my Mac IIci that I've been using as a monitor stand, and it freezes with a corrupted Mac OS screen after doing all the decompression and such. It does have some definite capacitor problems that might be impacting thing, as its sound is dead and it's somewhat unstable even under plain Mac OS (which is why it's been a monitor stand - I haven't had a chance to recap it). So, no joy on my two 68030 boxes.

Scott