Re: Buying RAM expansion from project money

Am 03.11.2013 um 08:20 schrieb Michael Schmitz <schmitz@biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>:

> There's no reason why the sparsemem work has to be done on real hardware, is there?

No, as Geert already stated.

For Amigas a real good starting point is the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual that deals with nearly every aspect of Amiga Hardware. You can find it online at http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Hardware_Manual_guide/node0000.html or buy a copy on Amazon or so.

>> a) we ask for a the manufacturer Individual Computers for a quote of 6 BigRamPlus expansions so we can equip all capable ZorroIII hosts we currently have. When given approval from DPL we buy all of them, regardless of how far SPARSEMEM support in kernel is at that time.
> That would be my preference. We are hardly squeezed for kernel memory on the buildds - process memory is what tends to get tight.

Yes, me too, but I would like to avoid spending money and then end up with lots of memory, but slower build process than before because it either works at all or it is slower because every sys call to kernel is 4x slower than before.

>> Who is volunteering for SPARSEMEM support? My understanding is, that Atari will benefit from that as well.
> In order to fully support kernel in FastRAM with ST-RAM available to processes, that would be required indeed.
> In order to support basic functionality, memory for use by the late ST-RAM allocator can be conveyed to the kernel using ioremap. I'd give that latter option a shot first to see whether TTs can be supported again.
> Sparsemem could be independent from getting Atari to boot kernels in the FastRAM chunk, is what I am trying to say.

Having TTs supported again would be nice, though. Are there maybe Atari RAM expansions we could buy from that money as well? As said I'm not relying on Debian to buy those cards for my Amigas.

>> At least for my 4 Amigas (Elgar, Arrakis, Spice & Vivaldi) I might be able to buy the cards all by myself, so if there are other machines that need that money better then that's fine for me. I know that Wouter has a A4000 in his collection, without knowing what's actually inside of that machine. Maybe, when just a network card is missing, then a better investment would be to buy one for that host?
> With increasing demand on virtual memory size, RAM expansions seem to be the best option IMHO.

Yeah, just bad luck that it only holds 256M and not a DIMM socket where you could easily add 1 or 2G. THAT would be an improvement! :-)

> Good on you for getting approval for the hardware upgrade, now let's see that put to use in solving the memory pressure problems.

Well, Adrian took care of that.

--
Ciao...            //      Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo       \X/       http://blog.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc