Re: Multiple Memory Chunks

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>We may also use the slow mainboard RAM (I get ca. 12 MiB/s) as a fast swap
>device.
>For Z2 RAM we have our good old z2ram driver, but in the mean time there's a
>more generic solution in drivers/mtd, IIRC.

bwh mentioned transcendent memory in
http://womble.decadent.org.uk/talks/debconf13-kernel-news/

But I think with total memory sizes at the magnitude that real
m68k machines have, we’re probably better off using them for
main memory as much as possible. (Compressed swap comes to mind,
but even so, main memory is likely to be under pressure; this
might help with machines with _very_ slow disc, or root on nfs/nbd
with slow NIC, though.)

>> Remember that there were problems with loading 3.2.0-4-amiga without the memfile.
>
>Yes, going out of memory when allocating the page table arrays? That won't
>improve when adding 256 MiB of Z3 RAM in the far end of the physical
>address space...

Right, that’s another reason I made the 3.10 kernel much more
modular and the best one to swallow the bitter pill of having
to construct an initrd.

You can always build your own custom kernel, of course, but I
think that Debian buildds should, as much as possible, use the
proper Debian kernels of course ;-)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<gcc> ncal.c: In function 'parsemonth': warning: comparison between pointer
and integer  • <mirabilos> ↑ hab da „in function parselmouth“ gelesen