ARAnyM speed

Hi *,

I’ve upgraded my desktop at work:

• from Kubuntu Hardy (8.04) to Debian unstable (sid), still i386
• from aranym_0.9.13-3.1 to whatever Debian sid carries (0.9.15-1)
• from a 4x3.2 GHz AMD system to an 8x3.1 GHz Intel system

My VMs, despite turning on the “performance” governor by writing
into sysfs, have only half the speed of before (roughly 500 ipv
1000 pystones/sec, 70/70/61/65 instead of 192/192/192/90 BogoMIPS;
the last VM to start was always a bit slower).

In /proc/cpuinfo I have
cpu MHz         : 3060.000
for all eight host cores (now), though.

I did have issues with governors in the past; even on hardy, the
last VM to start was slower, and sometimes I had to start them
several times to get the full BogoMIPS value.

I do pin VMs to single CPU cores by using taskset with a first
argument that has only a single bit set (0x1, 0x2, 0x4, 0x8).

Does anyone else see that, and which of the changes are most
likely responsible? (Debian also builds with hardening I think,
which Kubuntu hardy didn’t do.) I’ve not yet done any real
testing, but I can probably run a hardy chroot and compare
(that keeps hardware and kernel but not the userspace); might
be able to install hardy to an LV and boot it with its own
kernel, too… the old mainboard was broken, so can’t easily
test it… but maybe someone else here sees differences between
versions on the same hardware, or across hardware with similar
nominal speed.

For the record: the new CPU is
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         950  @ 3.07GHz
and the old one was an AMD X4 II or something like that.

Ah. Before, I ran the hardy i386 -server kernel; now I run
the sid amd64 kernel (with i386 userspace).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
15:39⎜«mika:#grml» mira|AO: "mit XFree86® wär’ das nicht passiert" - muhaha
15:48⎜<thkoehler:#grml> also warum machen die xorg Jungs eigentlich alles