⎠╵⎝

Hi everyone,

for people wanting to test this on real-metal Ataris, I’ve made
https://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinuz-3.8.0-rc3+m68k-queue+atari-84299-g3f4758a
cross-compiled from Geert’s m68k-queue as of today,
• because the Debian kernel follows upstream and thus lacks drivers
  for EtherNAT and EtherNEC,
• stripped down to fit on a floppy (gzip’d),
• stripped down to possibly boot on a TT with 4 MiB ST-RAM,
• with /proc/config.gz for easy use.

It does boot with https://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/20121227/m68k-base.e2z
(byteswap: on) as hard disc, or the mirnitrd, in ARAnyM. (At boot, some
components, including udev, seem to make noise about no floppy disc
inserted; my guess is that they don’t manage to handle UUID=… in fstab
when the filesystem is directly on the raw hard disc /dev/nfhd8 (or
/dev/hda) instead of a partition /dev/nfhd8p1 (or /dev/hda1).

gemini8 (Bcc’d) from #atari-home (OFTC) will try to install this on an
Atari TT like this:
• prepare HDD with three partitions: TOS, LNX, LNX (sizes would be,
  roughly, a couple of Megs, then say a gig – this will be our root
  filesystem on Linux later – then whatever MiNT needs – this will
  be our swapspace on Linux later)
• install the minimal TOS with ataboot.ttp / bootstra.ttp on the first
  ‣ e.g. http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-m68k/current/images/tools/atari/
  ‣ note that ct060 systems need a different one
• install MiNT on the third one (ext2fs, incidentally)
• from MiNT, put an ext2fs on the second one, which will be our / on
  Linux, and un-tar https://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/20121227/m68k-base.tgz
  on it (DO NOT forget the ‘p’ option, like “tar xzpf /path/to/foo.tgz”)
• from MiNT, edit /etc/fstab on the second partition to refer to the
  correct path for the root filesystem (which is the second partition),
  e.g. via UUID= (if MiNT can show that, e.g. with tune2fs -l) or by
  guessing /dev/hda2 could be right… or via label
• from MiNT, edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts
• from MiNT or TOS, edit the bootstrap arguments to read *at least*
  root=/dev/hda2 devtmpfs.mount=1
  (here, too, guess the correct partition ☺ as we don’t use an initrd
  on Debian/m68k, UUID/LABEL will *not* work there, but don’t worry,
  you’ve got quite some chances)
• boot via TOS (partition 1) into Linux (partition 2)
• use atari-fdisk to change the type of partition 3 into SWP
• swapon it and add it to /etc/fstab
• configure the network, apt-get update && apt-get --purge dist-upgrade
• win! (note, we haven’t yet actually done this yet)

Later TO-DO: investigate whether the HDD can be made “bootable” for
LNX, i.e. skip the TOS step.

The kernel image comes with ext2, ext4 (does not use it for ext2/ext3,
so ext2 will not get accidentally upgraded in case someone needs to
access it from MiNT again, until you upgrade it to ext4 manually), NFSv3
client, msdos/vfat, iso9660 filesystems, IDE and SCSI HDD and CD-ROM
(but not sg) support, and no dmraid or LVM, nor any modules.

Making it was a thing of:
• git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
  (then go shopping)
• cd linux-m68k; git checkout m68k-queue; git gc --aggressive --prune=now
  (then drin a coffee)
• scp linux-m68k:/boot/config-3.2.0-4-atari .config
• make ARCH=m68k menuconfig
  (takes a̲n̲ ̲h̲o̲u̲r̲, or so, for looking through all of it; do make sure to
  enable the Atari ISA ROM port adapter, EtherNAT and EtherNEC support,
  and some other platform devices)
• make -j8 ARCH=m68k all && size vmlinux
  (takes o̲n̲e̲ ̲m̲i̲n̲u̲t̲e̲ and yields a vmlinux.gz file, which is what you need)

HTH & HAND,
//mirabilos
--
☎ <Natureshadow> Ich glaub ich hab mir grad mit dem [Ham]Burger die Nase abge‐
putzt… <mirabilos> Ich glaub ich hab ne neue eMail-Signatur