Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

On 18/05/2012 20:00, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
Time for the FireBee? :-)

Nope, that’s MMU-less (IIRC).

Fortunately, you are wrong :-)

The facts:

1) The FireBee features a ColdFire MCF5474 which embeds a ColdFire V4e core, an FPU, an MMU, and much more. No trouble with the hardware.

2) The Linux kernel has already been ported to the FireBee. Both the MMUless ucLinux, *and* the full MMU Linux with virtual memory. See there:
http://uclinux.org/ports/coldfire/binary.html
I tested it myself, it works perfectly over the serial port and we can run the embedded programs from the ramdisk. However, currently there is no additional driver (including no mass storage), so it is not really useful. But very promising.

3) The FreeMiNT kernel, running over TOS. It is the traditional multitasking kernel for Atari computers. It is good enough to run most GNU software. It features some kind of memory protection using the MMU on 680x0 (not yet on ColdFire). But no virtual memory, so no accurate fork(). Anyway, that's unrelated to Debian/68k.

4) Running GCC on ColdFire. I was told that some libraries required by GCC are not compatible with ColdFire (incompatible assembly files). So it looks like no one has run GCC on a pure ColdFire system yet.

Anyway, I would love using Debian on my FireBee :-)

--
Vincent Rivière