MiNT cross-toolchain in Debian

Vincent Rivière dixit:

>> For now I’m doing without mintlib; my next step is to see whether
>> that is actually enough to build atari-bootstrap
>
> I don't know what are the contents of that Debian atari-bootstrap
> package, so I don't know either.

OK, here I am.

First of, building a non-stage1 cross compiler is a tad ugly because
even though binutils-multiarch’s got mint support in my patch, it
cannot strip things like libgcc.a:

tg@zigo:~ $ m68k-mint-gcc-4.6 -c x.c
tg@zigo:~ $ strip x.o
strip:x.o: File format is ambiguous
strip: Matching formats: a.out-m68k-linux a.out-zero-big a.out-sunos-big
1|tg@zigo:~ $ m68k-mint-ar rcs libx.a x.o
tg@zigo:~ $ strip libx.a
strip:libx.a: File format not recognized
1|tg@zigo:~ $ m68k-mint-strip x.o; echo $?
0
tg@zigo:~ $ m68k-mint-strip libx.a; echo $?
0
tg@zigo:~ $ strip libx.a
strip:libx.a(x.o): Unable to recognise the format of file: File format is ambiguous

It can, however, operate on TOS binaries:

tg@zigo:~ $ m68k-mint-gcc-4.6 -nostdlib x.c -o x.tos
tg@zigo:~ $ strip x.tos
tg@zigo:~ $ echo $?
0

(after adding an empty void __main() to x.c… don’t we all love gcc?)

The problem with this is that building the gcc Debian package invokes
dh_strip, which tries to run strip (not m68k-mint-strip, because it’s
NOT a cross-compilation but the native-compilation of a cross toolchain)
on all executables and libraries. The gcc case is special because it
contains both native and foreign objects.

My current idea is to ask joeyh to add a workaround for this to dh_strip
so we can build “officially” for the archive.

Now to atari-bootstrap: it does need mintlib. I will thus package it
and try to hack on gcc until it builds a regular compiler.

It also needs m68k-atari-mint-flags (m68k-mint-flags probably), but
that’s not in binutils, can you share a source for that?

I didn’t talk to people regarding EmuTOS yet. I figure I’ll do that
once I get the cross toolchain packaged and working.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
08:05⎜<XTaran:#grml> mika: Does grml have an tool to read Apple
     ⎜    System Log (asl) files? :)